This is sold by Coopers of Stortford.
Designer Habitat 12 litre Halogen Oven
This is a good option to buy if you want to try out cooking with a halogen oven but are not sure if you will continue too use it in the long term.
The is generally available from Amazon for about £30.
The oven also comes with a 200 page recipe book from Hamlyn.
The is more expensive but comes with a free spare halogen bulb.
Features of Designer Habitat 12 litre Halogen Oven
- Can be used to Bake, Roast, Steam, Fry & Broil
- 12 litre capacity which can be extended to 17 litre by using the oven height extender.
- Simple two switch control one for time and one for temperature controls.
- The whole oven is sturdy and of good quality.
- Temperature settings for heating and defrosting
- The power lead is detachable.
- Self cleans
- One year guarantee
- Cooking temperature range up to 250 degrees
- 1400 watt power
- Comes with 2 racks so you can cook on two levels at once
How to Operate the Designer Habitat 12 litre Halogen Oven
The Designer Habitat halogen oven is easy to use, just set the timer and temperature switch and close the lid. Like all halogen ovens it takes a little experimentation to get the cooking time just right. The advantage with these ovens is that they sit on the worktop and you can easy view the progress of the cooking.
The oven has two dials to control the timing and temperature settings of the oven. Included are a 200 page cookbook with the details of the settings required to cook using the halogen oven.
Performance of Designer Habitat Halogen Oven
You can cook almost anything with this oven from roasts to pasties and bread. Users of the oven have often stated that they us the oven every day and rarely now use their conventional oven. In particular meat cooks better than conventional oven in that it is more tender and tasty and does not dry out. You need to do some experimentation with the timing of the oven to get the best results. This is usually the case with all halogen ovens. This is not too much of a problem because the food is visible and it is easy to add timer using the timer.
The halogen oven cooks everything a normal oven can cook but also the cooking is faster. It is large enough particularly when adding the extension to cook a family meal. In addition the food cooked tastes better than that cooked in a microwave.
Halogen Bulb Replacement
The designer habit oven comes fitted with a halogen bulb. I could find no information on obtaining a replacement halogen bulb for the designer habitat oven when the original bulb fails. This can be a problem as unless the bulb can be replaced you have to throw away the oven when the original bulb goes.
Instructions for Designer Habitat 12 litre Halogen Oven
The oven comes with a instruction booklet which contains a section on the use of halogen ovens, halogen oven safety and a few recipes. Customers have complained that the instruction booklet is a bit sparse in content.
Much better is the 200 page Hamlyn Recipe Book that Habitat have now added to the package which comes with the oven package. The book normally retails at £4.90. The book explains halogen ovens and what they and recipe book. The instruction booklet is sparse and has a poor layout. It includes sections on using a halogen oven, health and safety and a few pages on recipes.
Accessories for Designer Habitat 12 litre Halogen Oven
The oven comes with the following accessories:
- 1 – Oven Height Extender Ring
- 1 – High food grill
- 1 – Low food grill
- 1 – Lid Holder
- 1 – Set of Tongs
- 1 – Baking Tray
- 1 – Steamer Tray
- 4 – skewer forks
- 1 – Single Glove
In addition, there is 1 Year warranty
The halogen oven stands quite tall on the work surface and this may cause difficulty in setting the dials which are located on the top of the lid.
The bowl diameter is 33 cm.
The total height is 33 cm and with extender ring 40 cm.
The internal depth is 16 cm with the extending ring 23 cm.
The bowl capacity is 12 litres
Boxed weight is 5 kg.
Model No 07 /009
The oven is available in White & Black
Amazon Rating: 4.5
- The cheapest halogen oven so a good buy if you just want to try out a halogen oven and not sure if you will continue to use it in the future
- The halogen oven comes with a detachable electric lead. This takes it easier and safer to use the oven as you are able to remove the lead before opening the lid
- The oven comes with a good cookbook with over 200 recipes in full colour
- The main stand, bowl and oven lid are of good quality. However, the accessories that come with the halogen oven are of rather poor quality and a bit flimsy particularly the lid stand a common fault with all halogen ovens
- The instruction booklet is of a poor quality containing little information
The price of the designer habitat oven varies depending on where you buy it but tends to have the lowest price.